Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Saturday 7 September 2013

Christmas Stocking!!!




Despite my recent "mis-adventure" I managed to get round to writing the pattern for my Christmas Stocking!

A nasty little something bit me on the upper arm while working in the garden.     It started out a bit itchy - so I just put a bit of antihistamine cream on.    A couple of hours later my arm was huge - hot - and a nasty red!    Mr Owl (my  hero - always to the rescue) spirits me away to the ER.  The Triage Nurse, the Casualties Nurse and the Doctor ask me "How Are You??"?   Really??   I am in the ER at 23h00 on a Friday night with the Grim Reaper peeking over my shoulder - how do you think I am??   Shot of Pethidine and two massive dosis of antibiotics later - and the Dr pronounces me fit to go home (at this point Grim shuffles off looking rather disgruntled!).

My arm is not very useful today so I have been blogging about and writing my  
CHRISTMAS STOCKING PATTERN:

Pattern Terms:   US

Yarn:  Mirage Pullskein (DK / 8ply / light worsted weight) - Stylecraft Special DK is a good alternative and is available internationally online from Deramores.

Hook:  5.50 for the boot and a 5.00mm for the joining (the Mirage DK is slightly thicker than other DK yarns).   Adjust your hook according to your yarn thickness.

Size:  Stocking measures 35cm in height.    Heel to toe 25cm.

Make SIX circles as follows:

Ch 4, ss to join
Row 1:  3ch, 11 dc, ss to join
Row 2:  3ch 1dc into sp between dc; *2dc into sp between dc* rep *to* 11 times = 24dc
Row 3:  3ch, 1dc into sp between 2dc, 1dc into next sp *2dc into next sp between 2dc, 1dc into next sp*Rep *to* 11 times = 36 stitches


crochet christmas stocking

For the TOP CUFF take TWO of the circles and crochet a fourth row on each as follows:

Row 4:  Into a sp between a double dc work as follows:
4ch, 1tr, 2ch, 2tr; *1dc into each of the next 8sp; 2tr, 2ch, 2tr into next sp* rep *to* 3x; 1dc into each of the next 8sp, ss into top of 4ch


crochet christmas stocking

HEEL PIECE A
Into a sp between a double dc work as follows:  4ch, 1tr, 2ch, 2tr; 1dc into each of the next 8sp; 2tr, 2ch, 2tr into next space;  1dc into each of next 5 spaces - start forming the heel piece by crocheting 2dc into each of next 5 spaces;   1dc into each of next 7 spaces;   2tr, 2ch, 2tr into next space;  1dc into each of next 8 spaces, ss into top of 4 ch to join

HEEL PIECE B
Into a sp between a double dc work as follows:4ch, 1tr, 2ch, 2tr; 1dc into each of the next 8sp; 2tr, 2ch, 2tr into next space;  1dc into each of next 8 spaces;   2tr, 2ch, 2tr into next space;  1dc into each of next 7 spaces;  2dc into each of next 5 spaces;   1 dc into each of next 5 spaces


crochet christmas stocking

TOE PIECE A
Into a sp between a double dc work as follows:4ch, 1tr, 2ch, 2tr; 1dc into each of the next 8sp;  2tr, 2ch, 2tr into next space;  1dc into each of next 8 spaces;  *2dc into each of next 8 spaces, 1dc into each of remaining 10 spaces;   ss into top of 4 ch

TOE PIECE B
Into a sp between a double dc work as follows:4ch, 1tr, 2ch, 2tr; 1dc into each of the next 8sp;  2tr, 2ch, 2tr into next space;  1dc into each of next 10 spaces;  2dc into each of next 8 spaces, 1dc into each of remaining 8 spaces;  ss into top 4ch


crochet christmas stocking

Join A & B   Cuff, heel piece A, toe piece A

I crocheted mine together at the back - 4ch through both corners of toe and heel pieces, skip 2dc, 2ch,  1sc into next space - repeat to corner, 1ch, crocheting 1sc through both corners of heel and cuff pieces, skip 2dc, 1sc into next space - repeat to corner.

Crochet a row of dc around A and around B 

To extend the Cuff:
Join 3rd colour to the top corner - 3ch, 2dc into corner, skip 3dc, 3dc into next space - repeat to opposite corner, 3dc into corner, 3ch turn

3dc into next space, repeat to last space, 1dc into top of 3ch of previous row.

Repeat these two rows until the stocking is as long as you like (I did 6 rows), changing colours as you like.


crochet christmas stocking

Now to bring it all together:
Into top of 3ch on the last cuff row on A work 1ch, 1sc into the top of each dc - repeat to last stitch
20ch, ss into each chain
Fold over and ss into first chain to form the hanging loop 

Hold A & B together (right sides facing outwards) 2sc into side of each post on cuff, 1sc through both A & B into each space between dc, 2sc into side of each post on cuff, 1sc into top of each dc on side B, ss into bottom of hanging loop to finish.

Weave in the ends and Decorate!!


crochet christmas stocking

6 comments:

  1. poor you hope your arm is better and thank you for the amazing tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your site via the road trip scarf, which is one of my WIPs, You are quite the artist. I read somewhere that you have a shop. Lucky you! Just wanted to speak and tell you that I am enjoying your work!

    Pam from East Coat, SC, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the beautiful pattern. Many people have been looking for something like this. So kind of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive, love the colours and the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zooty dear, I adore all of your designs and patterns! So sorry to hear of your yukky bug bite! Eeek! Hope you are feeling better! Love your stocking. Thank you for being you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read this post sorry about your arm sounds like a spider bite. I had one bite me on my face and it did the same thing was horrible. I'm going to try your Christmas stocking and I wanted you to know I crocheted two of your road trip scarves for Christmas presents and one of your other scarves with flowers for my granddaughter. Love your work so pretty. And your patterns are very easy to follow. Thank you for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete